Dr. Jay Riva-Cambrin was going to perform the surgery, he was awesome. Dr. Tomiko Long was the anesthesiologist and she was awesome. She was very calm and said she was going to be there the whole time. She looked at me and could tell I had been crying and probably heard the report that they couldn’t get the IV in because she said, I don’t like to start a surgery unless they have an IV ready in case one fails during surgery. Once he is under they would put in another IV just in case. I was relieved because she was so calm and she knew her stuff. She looked at Jacob and said he is bigger than I thought. We laughed because he has been a big baby from day one. They took our little P-Nutt and I started bawling again. When it rains it pours I guess.
We checked into the surgery waiting room and the lady said this is the best time to get something to eat because you might not get a chance later. So we decided to do that. We were pushing an empty stroller down to the café which was kind of sad. So we are picking out breakfast and Jace starts talking to someone. I turned around and it was Dr. Riva-Cambrin. The look on my face must of said it all because he said, oh no Jacob is fine. He is with Dr. Long, I am just getting something to eat to keep up my strength. It takes a while to get them under. He ended up in line behind us and we asked him if it was common for brothers to have this same surgery. He said no it’s more common in nephews, uncles but not siblings. At least we knew what to expect since Tyler had the same surgery. We all finished paying and then didn’t know what to say then Jace said, well, good luck! Good luck, that’s our baby. But I didn’t know what to say so it was better than not saying anything at all. It was funny.
2 ½ hours later he was done. I went into recovery and I knew it would take him a while to come out of it because of his first surgery took him pretty much a day to come to. The surgeon and anesthesiologist both came by and said he did great. YEAH! He looked really good, color, etc. Better than what Tyler looked like after the same surgery. Jacob was older and weighed more so I think that helped. The surgery was on Thursday and we went home on Saturday. The nurses were great and catered to us. We went walking down the hall Saturday morning to go home and Jacob threw up all over so we turned around and stayed in his room for about 20 minutes then left again. He didn’t like Motrin so we were only giving him Tylenol. He is one tough cookie! My mom said Tyler was worried about Jacob and kept talking about him and Jace & I. She took him to story time and they made placements. He asked my mom’s friend who is the librarian if he could make one for Jacob and that set everyone into tears.
Today you can’t even tell he had surgery. He has the most beautiful head & hair for that matter. We are thankful for modern medicine and for the wonderful staff at Primary Children’s. Even though it was great, it is nice not to be there!

Right before surgery, in the waiting room.

After surgery.

On the way home in the car, still a happy boy even with a swollen eye and a tape wound on his cheek!

Three days after surgery.

One week after surgery.
Enjoying some snacks in the pantry a year later.
5 comments:
Wow that is quite a story! It's never easy to go through anything like that with your kids! What a tough set of boys you have!
You may not be emotional, but I am. I was crying just reading through that. When it comes to my babies, I think there is a mother tiger in all of us and no one wants to go through scary unknown stuff. Way to go mom!!
By the way, Jacob looks so cute in the pantry pic...He looks so old!!!
Who wouldn't love a face like that!Not very many people go through that, especially twice! Your one brave mama. Thanks for paving the bravery road for all of us!
That was great to get to read about your experience with Jacob. And, yes, I'm jealous of that head of hair he has!
Post a Comment